Sciatica is an inflammation of the Sciatic nerve that runs down the leg from the spine. It is a symptom rather than a condition and may have a number of different causes.
Sciatica signs. You may have all or some of these:
- Pain in the leg
- Burning or tingling in the leg
- Pins and needles
- Pains or tingling in the foot
- Pain in the bottom
- Weakness or numbness in the leg
- Feeling that leg may buckle under you
- The feeling of water flowing down your leg, or ants crawling on the skin
The pain of sciatica can be a constant ache or you may get shooting pains in the leg.
Sometimes sciatica can be worse when you are sitting. At other times it is the movement of getting up from sitting that causes the most pain.
Causes of sciatica: irritation of the sciatic nerve may occur at any point along its path, it can be aggravated by other structures in the body:
- A bulging intervertebral disc (a “slipped disc”)
- The bones and joints of the pelvis
- The piriformis muscle in the bottom
- The muscles of the leg
Studies have shown that Chiropractic can be an effective treatment for Sciatica. (Lewis et al. Comparative effectiveness of management strategies for sciatica: systematic review and network meta-analysis. The Spine Journal, 2015: 1461-1477.)
When you come for a treatment, David will conduct a physical examination and will talk you through his findings.